Image of university

Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski

Presentation of the University

  

Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski is the first Bulgarian high academic school establishment. Its history is an embodiment and a continuation of the centurylong cultural and educational tradition of the Bulgarian nation.

In 1880 the Bulgarian Ministry of Education tabled a draft of the Main Educational Act for the Schools in the Principality of Bulgaria in the National Assembly. It envisaged that “after completing the requirements of the Real and Classical schools to open a Bulgarian high school (a University) that will teach the sciences of law, the arts, the sciences, the medical sciences, and the technological sciences.” In 1887, T. Ivanchev, minister of education, issued an Ordinance for the Opening of a Pedagogy Class Affiliated to the First Male Gymnasium in Sofia. The classes began on 1st. Oct., 1888. On 8th, Dec., 1888 the National Assembly passed an act transforming the latter into a High School; the act was promulgated on 1st, Jan., 1889 with Decree No. 159 published in the Government Gazette. Alexander Teodorov-Balan was elected its first Rector. In the provisional Statute adopted the establishment of a history-philological department was the only one envisaged. During the 1889/1890 academic year the physics-mathematical department was opened, and in 1892 the Faculty of Law was inaugurated.

More information about Sofia university “st. Kliment Ohridski” you can find on the following web page: https://www.uni-sofia.bg/eng.

 

 

Please follow and like us: